Sunday, November 6, 2011

In Need of Balance

I never realized how difficult being a teacher would be. I was not prepared for the amount of time and preparation that goes into teaching. Statistics show that half of teachers quit within 5 years. I can definitely see why. Being a teacher is not an 8-5 job, especially when it is the first year. (However, I will NOT be a part of that statistic.)

Every day for me is a new day. I have to figure out what I am going to teach, how I am going to teach it, make sure I have all necessary papers made and copied. Then I have to figure out what I am going to take for a grade, grade it (I have 52 students) then figure out when I am going to test them, make sure they will be ready for their test, etc. I also have all of this at the start of the week. Lesson plans are due on Monday for the entire week. Then at the end of every day, I have to find the bottom of my desk because it is buried under papers, games, supplies, etc. from that day. I am exhausted just from writing all of that. Needless to say, I LOVE being a teacher but it is a very time consuming job, something that no one understands besides another teacher.

Lately, I have felt very overwhelmed from how much time I feel like I devote to school-work. After school, in the evenings at home, on the weekends, etc. I just haven't been able to find a balance. I have no time for me, let alone my family or friends.

This week starts the beginning of the 3rd 6 weeks. (I can't believe I have already gone through 2 grading periods!!) My goal for this 6 weeks is to get myself organized and find a balance and stop spending so much "overtime" on school work for free. I want to be able to exercise, cook dinner, play with the kids, clean, (Yes, I actually want to clean. Can you believe that!?) and spend time with my family and friends.

In finding this new balance, I am also hoping to blog more... so stay tuned!

1 comment:

Fonda said...

I have always heard that the first year is the hardest. After that you can use the previous year's lesson plans as a guide and just brush up as needed. Hang in there! And for heavens sake, don't change subjects or grades next year! Ha!!