Tomorrow I am starting my second student teaching placement. I just completed my placement in 1st grade - 1 class, every subject all day. Tomorrow I will start in 5th grade math. I believe I will have 4 math class a day.
As I approach another milestone tomorrow, I have completed a journal on my thoughts on my experience so far. I would like to share with you a segment of my journal:
I don't just want to be a teacher. I want to make a difference in children's lives. When I first started student teaching, I was really paranoid about the kids hugging me because I am a germaphobe and worried about getting sick. However, after getting to know many of the kids, I felt my motherly instinct kick in. I felt like some of those kids needed a hug and needed that motherly attention because many of the children do not get instruction and love at home. I can definitely say that I left my 1st grade placement feeling like I had made a difference in many of those children's lives.
There was one little boy in particular who I feel like I had an impact on. He always had a chip on his shoulder. He never wanted to be silly. He never wanted to laugh. He never wanted to smile. He also got mad very easily. He was one of my "projects." I always made an extra effort to reach him. On my last day, the boy who never showed emotions, other than anger, said to me: "I don't want you to leave! Why do you have to go?" and then he gave me a hug. At that point, I was 100% sure that being a teacher is my calling. I knew right then that I had made a difference in his life.
As I have previously mentioned, I am currently in a Title 1 school. I have always thought that I want to work in a Title 1 school but now after being in one, I know that type of school is exactly where I NEED to be. I don't just want to be an educator. I want to be role model and I want to make a difference.
1 comment:
Keep being open to loving and encouraging them...and you will never be able to count all the blessings that will result in your obedience. Hope 5th grade is just as good!
Post a Comment