Several people recently have asked me where I learned to sew. Many people who know my mom assume I learned from her. My mom is very crafty but she does not know how to sew, so no, I did not learn from her... or anyone else for that matter...
When I was pregnant with Tayler, I suddenly became... what is the proper word.... a domestic mommy. I wanted to make things, especially blankets. There were a couple of people who had given us hand made baby blankets for Colton and I really wanted to be able to make something for them as kids that they could cherish until they were older. So, Kyle bought me a sewing machine from Wal-Mart but I had to promise I would actually use it. I have always been an independent learner - I hate group work (I would much rather do it by myself so I know it's done right!) I have also been very good at teaching myself things I need to know. (This is probably why I enjoy all of my online classes so much.) So, I got the instruction booklet out for the sewing machine and read it to figure out how to use it. I was surprised at how easy it was! So, I started looking at things, their shape, their seems, etc. and just kind of figured it out on my own visually.
A year and a half ago I didn't really know who I was. I had no hobbies, I had no friends, I had no free time and if someone asked me what I like to do "for fun" I would draw a blank. I don't feel that way anymore. For once, I have a hobby. Sewing (and crafting) is a hobby that I absolutely love. I sometimes find myself up until 4am sewing because I have lost track of time. For me, it is very relaxing. Maybe you know what I mean... some people enjoy reading, gardening, exercising, painting, etc. For me, I enjoy sewing. (Granted I do get frustrated when I have a problem and I don't know anyone who knows how to sew, but I just get out my handy dandy instruction booklet and read until I can solve the problem.) It is just very relaxing. There is just something very fulfilling about taking something from nothing to something finished and seeing people amazed at what you have accomplished. It makes me feel kind of like an artist! The feeling I get seeing my son so attached to the pillow and blanket that I made him breaks my heart (in a good way! You moms out there know what I'm talking about.)
(Did I mention I even made our curtains?! I could not find the right type of curtains the right size to keep the heat out in the hot afternoons. So, I loaded up the kids, went to store and bought fabric and Wala! Within a few days we had insulated curtains to keep the heat out!)
So, now that I have the sewing down, I would REALLY REALLY REALLY like to learn how to crochet!! I have seen such cute beanies and baby booties that are crocheted. I would really like to be able to make the kids some cute beanies for this year (in case we get snow for the 3rd year in a row! *wishful thinking, I know*) So now I just need to figure out how to start. It's not like a sewing machine that comes with instructions. I wonder if there is an instruction booklet on how to start crocheting? If you know, please let me know!!
So anyways, that is how I learned to sew and I absolutely love it. I know, I am such a mom. When I look back on my life the past few years, it is amazing how much I have changed. I will be 25 this week. It seems like it was just a few months ago my mom took me to NY for my 21st birthday when I was 7 months pregnant with Colton. Becoming a mom has definitely changed my life. I was forced to grow up before I even knew what it really meant to be a grown up. So, my life might be very different than typical people my age, but I love it. Learning to love my life is something that I have had to work at. Of course I love my children, but it has been very difficult watching so many people graduate from college and start their careers and I have not even finished college. But then I realized something very important. Being a mother is more difficult than any job there is. And when I do finish college (in 9 months!) I will not only have a college degree, but I will get to accept my diploma while my 2 beautiful babies watch me!! So, on that note, I am so happy to have "found myself" and appreciate where I am at in my life and I am also proud to sew baby items!! :)
P.S. I kind of got off on a tangent - Sorry! But thanks for reading!
Love,
Tammy
6 comments:
there are how to books on how to crouchet... I only wish i could learn from reading like you do... if you show me how to do it once or twice i will remember for life but if i have to read it on my own I will forget in minutes.
Tammy I wanted to learn to knit someone told me about the online videos awesome...try crouchet videos google it
Brenda
I'm with you Kelli...I'm a visual learner...way to go Tammy! can't wait to see what you make me for Christmas from my grand-babies...maybe a Grams/Muggy blanket :)
Oh man, I have to make you something!? Now you set the bar for me.. :) j/k
I am a visual learner if someone else is teaching me. If I am learning on my own, I can use instructions and be fine.
I am sure you could find a book on Amazon like Crochet for Beginners. I tried it years ago...but just couldn't get the hang of it. I want to quilt some day, but it looks like I will be waiting until I retire (or at least until all the kids are out of the house). Just not enough time in the day for me!
I was a failure at crocheting---but I used to do cross stitch and sew a little! I am so proud of you--it's also so fun to watch you "find yourself and your interests." Thanks for sharing with us. Love--Carol c
Post a Comment