Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Student Teaching

It is with bittersweetness that I am able to announce that I have received my student teaching placement for next semester.

The person over the school district had asked me where I would like to be placed. I had my first choice and also requested to be in any of the schools on this side of the district. The reasoning was because I am having to take out student loans to pay for childcare and gas since I will be basically working for free. Even though student teaching is a 40 hour work week, the class load is (for some odd reason) considered part time, so my aid package was lowered since I will not be a full time student.

Well, today I got my placement and I am not on the side of the district that I live on. In fact, I am on the complete opposite side. It is a little disappointing and frustrating and I am definitely worried about the long drive and the cost of gas, especially since I will not be making a paycheck to compensate for it. I am trying to stay positive and hope that the Lord has good plans for me and that there is a good reason I have been placed so far.

I will be student teaching in 3rd and 5th grade which I am very excited about. :)

UPDATE: I am currently trying to get my placements changed. I am so irritated. They placed me in math-only classes for my 60 days of student teaching. I will have a generalist certification, which means I will be certified to teach ALL subjects, which means I NEED to know how to teach ALL subjects, not just math. This is not going to benefit me and not look good when I try to get a job and I only have experience teaching math. If I wanted a degree in math I would have gotten one. So, I am currently fighting to get it changed. I don't understand how they even thought this would be okay? GRRR

No comments: