Sunday, December 19, 2010

1st Week Weight Loss Results

Last week I made a post about a few new cookbooks that I had gotten. Like many people, I have tried several diets... Atkins, Nutrisystem, Weight Watchers, etc. And like many people, I gain the weight back after.

My new approach to weight loss this time around is to develop a healthy lifestyle. Saying you are "on a diet" insinuates you will eventually get "off" that diet. I need to learn how to be healthy so that it can be a lifelong change, not just something I do for a few months. I also need to teach my children good eating habits while they are young and also allow them to grow up in a home where we cook fresh meals so that they will know how to cook when they are my age.

I have committed this month that I am not in school to two things 1. cleaning my house :) and 2. learning how to cook healthy meals.

Last Sunday I started on this new journey. I weighed in this morning and am happy to announce that I have lost 5 1/2 pounds. :) Although it's not the huge numbers viewed on The Biggest Loser, I am not on The Biggest Loser. 5 1/2 pounds is 5 1/2 pounds towards my goal!

I am trying to remember that it took more than a month to put on this weight and it's going to take more than a month to take it off. Also, the faster I lose it the greater chance I will have at getting saggy skin, something that I do not care to get. :)

So, I am pleased to announce that while losing those 5 1/2 pounds this week, I did not deprive myself. I didn't tell myself "You can't have that." I ate bread. I ate dessert. I just did it in a healthy, portion controlled manner. And honestly, the food I ate this week was so much more delicious than what I had been eating.

My goal for this past week was to cook and eat healthy meals. My goal for this next week is to incorporate exercise into my day at least 5 days of the week. (This past week I only exercised twice.)

I CAN DO THIS! and if you are wanting to lose weight, YOU CAN DO THIS TOO!

P.S. I am not a picky eater but two things I have always refused to eat is sweet potatoes and cottage cheese. I am excited to say that I have tried both and love them! I now eat cottage cheese on a daily basis!

Oh, something else I wanted to share: I read that it takes 21 days to form a habit to where your body craves something. So, if you are like me and trying to lose weight, if you can give up something for 21 days, you will no longer crave it. If you start eating healthy and exercise for 21 days, you will form a habit!

1 comment:

Stacy said...

Very good! and 5 1/2 pounds is really awesome!