Sunday, February 13, 2011

To Gain Achievement....

Last week I attended a seminar focused on understanding poverty as it relates to students in school. The speaker mentioned "To gain achievement, one must give up relationships" and later gain new, better ones. The speaker was referring to kids who are in "the wrong crowd." But, this statement really stood out to me.

Over the past few years, I have both lost and given up many relationships. I have dealt with people who just didn't understand my life. To be completely honest, it is hard to be close with people who do not understand your life and are unable to relate to it. Although there have been times that I missed having friends, there are other things more important: being a good mother, focusing on my marriage, finishing school to help better my family's lives, etc.

So, if you are someone I don't talk to that often anymore, please know that I am just trying to achieve some very important goals that I have set for myself.

Hearing this from someone I don't know, "To gain achievement, one must give up relationships" made me feel assured that it's not about how other people feel, it's about how I feel, and this is what I have to do to get to a better place in my life.

No comments: