Saturday, June 2, 2012

Weighing In

Weight loss - something that should be a no-brainer... eat less, move more. But why is it so challenging for so many of us? I don't know how many times I have said I am going to lose weight and then given up. After failed attempt after failed attempt, I have finally realized some of the reasons I have failed...

1. I take on too much. This past year, I was a working mommy. Before that, I was in school full time. I tend to take on a lot of responsibilities and leave very little time for myself.

2. I have an "all or nothing" attitude. I think if I skip a day of exercise why bother even eating right? If I mess up on 1 meal well I guess I messed up my entire day.

3. I deprive myself. I tell myself "You can't have that."

Here is what I know I need to do now...
1. Make time for myself!!!
I have gym equipment at the house but let's face it, it is not a stress reliever to be running on a treadmill with children screaming, tattling on each other, bugging you for a drink or snack, trying to get on the treadmill too, etc.
A friend of mine that I work with recently told me about a fitness program that our health insurance offers. (I wonder why no one ever informed us of this!?!?) Anyways... basically the insurance is contracted with many fitness centers. So, you pay the insurance to join the fitness program and they pay the gym. So, I am able to join 24 Hour Fitness for $25 a month through my insurance instead of the normal $60. This is less than $1 a day!! So, this is going to be my getaway. :)

2. Have a "something is better than nothing" attitude! If I have a cookie - so what? It doesn't change the fact that I had a healthy breakfast and lunch. A good breakfast and lunch + a cookie is better than a bad breakfast and lunch + a cookie. I am not on the Biggest Loser. 45 minutes of exercise is better than nothing.

3. Tell myself I CAN but in moderation.
Every time I have attempted to lose weight in the past, I gave myself guidelines because I thought I needed them. I took a pill that would give you an upset stomach if you ate too much fat so I was always scared into eating the right things. I followed diet plans. I counted calories. I had a weight loss journal. I would tell myself time after time that I couldn't have certain things. I am not doing that anymore. I am human and if I want a treat, I can have one. It is not going to take away my muscle tone. It is not going to take away the good conditioning my heart has gotten.


Wednesday Weigh-In
I have recently learned that there are many people I know battling the same battle as I am. I think it is important for others to realize they are not alone. A family-friend of mine on the same journey has decided to post a Wednesday-Weigh In each week. I am going to follow her lead and do the same. I think it helps to be able to read other people's stories. It helps motivate and encourage me but also push me. Also, if I can give that inspiration and motivation to someone else then I am happy to do so.

Where I am at today:
I have not lost any weight this year. I have lost and regained the same 5 pounds multiple times. My life was not balanced this year. As a first year teacher at a brand new school, this year was a struggle for me. I was lucky to get 6 hours of sleep a night. I have now realized that I cannot live my life like that. I have to make more time for me and for my family.

Last year, when I was student teaching, I start trying to lose weight. Over the past year, I have managed to keep of 22 of the pounds that I had previously lost.

As I mentioned above, I joined 24 hour fitness. I forgot how much I really enjoyed working out. Kyle has been very supportive of me and watches the kids while I go, without a time limit. He works nights so when he gets home in the morning, I go to the gym. When I get back, he goes to sleep.  I am able to get in and out of my car without loading and unloading children. I am able to actually feel free. I have found that having some freedom away from my children is extremely important in my happiness and stress level. My mom also enjoyed so it is nice working out with her sometimes and getting time to catch up.

As far as eating... I am not taking pills. I am not on a diet plan. I am not counting anything. I am basically trying to make better choices. I may count calories eventually, especially if I am not losing, but for now I feel like I need to keep all extra responsibilities and restrictions away.

For now, thank you for being understanding and supportive and I hope to be a part of a support group for others.

God Bless. :)
Tammy

No comments: