Sunday, June 17, 2012

A book is no longer a book

A book is no longer a book. A book has now become a digital file in a folder.

I am someone who loves technology. However, when I was given an Amazon Kindle by a few of my students and their parents for Christmas, I didn't know what to think. I thought it was cool but really had no idea how to use it. The thought of using a button instead of turning a page seemed  very odd to me. So, it has been sitting in the box ever since. (I have bought numerous paperback books since.)

But this evening I decided that I really wanted to purchase a book but I really didn't feel like going to the store or waiting for it to be delivered. So, I decided to try out the kindle. Not only was the kindle price cheaper, but with one click I had the book in my hands.

I am looking to buy a few other books to put into my professional library. However, I am going to by the paperback version of those... I can't accept technology when I am so used to highlighting, putting sticky notes on good ideas, etc. For now, since this is a pleasure read, I am going to see how this whole e-reader thing works out for me and see if this type of technology is something I am going to enjoy or not.

3 comments:

Kelli said...

I have fallen in love with my Kindle, it allows you to highlight and make notes on books. It also saves room on my night stand. My problem now is that I want to get too many, I have to limit myself to 1 fun book and one bible study at a time!

Stacy said...

it is strange to hold something so flat and read an entire book - I have books on my iPad - so I like to read on that - not all the time - I guess I go back and forth between both of them.

Fonda said...

Oh, girl! Do I understand your dillema! The kids bought me a Nook for Christmas two years ago. It was for our trip to South Africa. It took me awhile to get used to it...as I like the feel of a book in my hands too! I have found out that (for me, at least) I can enjoy fun reads on the Nook, but if it is a more serious book, I need it in paper format. I HATE how long it takes to highlight on the Nook and to make notes...so, if it is that kind of book I need to purchase it in book format. Happy reading!